The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Golden Bears Storm Toward State

The HIES basketball program has had a stellar year to say the least. Almost all of the home games have been packed with students on their feet and cheering for the Golden Bears. What has made this season so successful? I asked senior Sam Asbury and sophomore Khayla Pointer to get their opinion on why these two teams have collectively created one of the best HIES basketball seasons to date.

The boys’ team boasts a solid record of 21-6 and, according to Asbury, plans to “take it one game at a time and focus on the task at hand” when competing in the state tournament. Asbury says that this boys’ team is different than previous years because it “is the most unselfish team [he’s] played on,” as “everybody wants each other to succeed.” The family atmosphere isn’t the only thing that contributes to the team’s success; Asbury notes that “[high game attendance] really raises the energy of [the] team” and “makes [them] perform at a higher level.”

SC3_7570Scott Coggins

Although signed to Georgia State to play golf, Asbury is also a very talented basketball player and pointed to the game against Greater Atlanta Christian School as the highlight of his last season in the sport. The team “played really well together” and “didn’t give up even though it looked as if [they] were going to lose late in the game,” and their victory was due in large part to the three pointer scored by Asbury at the very end of regulation play. They went on to beat GACS in overtime. This is just one example of the many exciting match-ups that the Bears have faced this season, including intense games against Pace, Lovett, and Wesleyan.

SC3_7707Scott Coggins

On the other hand, the Lady Bears have also had an incredible season, as they are undefeated headed into the state tournament. Pointer recognizes that their flawless record closely mirrors the experience of last year, which left “a bad taste in [the team’s] mouth,” as their only loss was in the state championship. This year, getting that state title is their “ultimate goal,” and Pointer says that “as long as [they] continue to play as a team and not as individuals,”  “there is no doubt the success will continue to come.”

SC3_7490Scott Coggins

Despite the fact that the Lady Bears are ranked second in the state of Georgia, the attendance at their games rarely, if ever, reaches the level that the boys achieve. Pointer “would like to see a little bit more support on a consistent basis from [the] student body,” especially heading into the state tournament. At times when there has been “enormous support” for the Lady Bears, “[they] really fed off of [the crowd’s] energy,” and that, in Pointer’s eyes, is “the true meaning of home court advantage.” This phenomenal team has gone unmatched by any of their previous opponents and will continue to work hard to bring a ring home.SC3_7405Scott Coggins

On Friday night, the Lady Bears took first in the region while the Bears took third. Make sure to support both of these teams as the state tournament begins and they fight to complete one of the best basketball seasons of HIES history.

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Health

Get Active

• Golden Bears Storm Toward State

Opinion

On the Issues

Golden Bears Storm Toward State