The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Fall Sports Rundown

Senior Sarah Joe is the lone senior on the reigning state championship volleyball team.

Curtesy of Scott Coggins

Curtesy of Scott Coggins

Anna Carr Hanks and Carly Reifenberger

Although its only the third week of school, all of our various fall sports teams have been hard at work since the end of July. As HIES moves up to the AA classification, the sports teams have been hard at work preparing for the new competition.

Volleyball: The reigning state champion volleyball team has high expectations to fill this season. Going into the season with nine returners and four new additions, the returning girls have a strong bond and are excited to welcome the new players. Although the team will face some tough competition this season, the teams on their schedule continue to range in classification. Varsity Head Coach Taylor Noland believes the team’s biggest strength is, “our offensive system, our serving and serve receive.”

Senior pitcher Atia Williams waits on second base. She is one of the six seniors on the varsity softball team this year.

Softball: Stacked with six seniors on the team this year, the softball team is full of leadership. This group of girls is a close knit group that continues to strengthen their bond.

I’m just thrilled to be out there everyday especially after my surgery last year and missing all of baseball season I couldn’t wait to get out there for softball. ”

— Varisty softball Coach Dan Healy

According to Varsity Head Coach Dan Healy, the team’s biggest strengths are their pitching and fielding. Moving up to AA creates stiffer competition that the team is looking forward to. As Coach Healy states, “I’m just thrilled to be out there everyday especially after my surgery last year and missing all of baseball season I couldn’t wait to get out there for softball.”

Football: Leading our football team this year to ahopeful state championship are senior  captains Connor Dolan, Rod Davis, Walker Thomas and Dylan Armstrong. With many returning players, the football team has plenty of experience on the field. “We try to take it one week at a time” commented Varsity Head Coach Ryan Livezy. The coaches are looking forward to seeing how this years team’s dynamic changes.

Connor Dolan and Rod Davis are two of the four captains for the 2014 football season.

HIES Correspondents

Cheerleading: Known as the most spirited team at HIES, the cheerleading squad has been hard at work brushing up on cheers, stunts, dances and chants. Varsity Head Coach Amanda Peckham thinks that this year they have the most talented, strong, and cheerful group of girls that HIES has ever seen. When asked what the squad’s biggest strength was, Peckham said,  “spirit, loving their school, and they are really focused on being an important part of the HI community.”

The Varsity cheerleaders hit their pyramid perfectly during their halftime dance.

Jennifer Weiss
The Varsity cheerleaders hit their pyramid perfectly during their halftime routine.

Cross-Country: Cross-country had a wonderful turnout this year with a record breaking 100 students. With this many participants, it gives HIES an opportunity to finish races in large packs, gaining more points. Head Varsity Boys Coach Dunn Neugebauer believes the team’s biggest strength is,  “the bonding and training together.”  Fortunately for the cross-country team, moving up to the AA classification “doesn’t effect them as much because the distance stays the same no matter the classification.”

Sophomore Ben Davis finishes off a race with a sprint. Ben is one of the top runners this year.

HIES Correspondents
Sophomore Ben Davies finishes off a race with a sprint. Davies is one of the top runners this year.

• Fall Sports Rundown

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Fall Sports Rundown

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Fall Sports Rundown

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Fall Sports Rundown

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Fall Sports Rundown

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Fall Sports Rundown

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Fall Sports Rundown

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Fall Sports Rundown

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Fall Sports Rundown

Health

Get Active

• Fall Sports Rundown

Opinion

On the Issues

Fall Sports Rundown