The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Jacobs gets ready to make a pass. As a defensive player, Jacobs rarely gets to score. She shared that one of her proudest moments was making a goal from over half the field!

Courtesy of Katie Jacobs

Courtesy of Katie Jacobs

Senior year is a perfect time to reflect on the past four years of high school and really look at the big picture, which is exactly what Katie Jacobs has done regarding her time on the soccer field. As a HIES and club athlete, Jacobs has spent a lot of time on the soccer field, but the lessons she learned are well worth it.

Due to her time as a soccer player, Jacobs says that she is more motivated and is better at managing her time. Whether you’re an artist or an athlete, it is known that balancing rehearsals, practices, games, shows, and tournaments with schoolwork and a social life is an art form, but Jacob’s involvement at the club level has required the utmost time management. Even though she and her teammates have missed parties, beach trips, and homecomings, Jacobs says she now knows “when I have to do things and how to manage everything in my life.” In addition to time management, “a key factor is discipline and strength in tough situations.” Soccer has taught her perseverance, a life skill that has value beyond the soccer field, something with which Jacobs has had lots of practice.

I was on crutches after having knee surgery, but still felt like I was out on the field playing.”

— Katie Jacobs

During her soccer career, Jacobs has had three surgeries, but she never let the injuries keep her from being there for her team. In fact, her fondest memory on the soccer team was advancing all the way to the final four in the state tournament. Even though Jacobs was on crutches after a knee surgery, she says she “still felt like I was out on the field playing.” Jacobs’ favorite thing about soccer is that it’s a team sport. Although being on a team isn’t always easy, “having people to rely on and motivate is the best part.” As a senior, it is her role to inspire, communicate, and lead in every aspect of life, not just on the field.

As a student that excels both in athletics and academically, Jacobs says “Balanced Excellence means being able to do it all.” Looking back on her time at HIES and as an athlete, Jacobs’ definition of Balanced Excellence is “a person who knows how to set priorities and goals and follow through,” someone that Jacobs strives to be and has already exemplified. Throughout her career, Jacobs reminded herself that “I made a commitment to soccer and I must honor that,” a commitment that has taught her many things that she has utilized her at HIES and will continue to use in her years beyond high school.

What has been the most community you've been apart of as an HIES student?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Health

Get Active

• Spotlight: Katie Jacobs

Opinion

On the Issues

Spotlight: Katie Jacobs