The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Dylan O’ Brian and Kaya Scoldelario are all smiles at the press conference for the movie Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.

www.flicker.com

www.flicker.com

Sydney Green, Staff Writer

Looking for an alternative to your typical Netflix-filled Friday night? Well, if you liked the movies Divergent and Hunger Games series, and if you liked reading Lord of the Flies then look no further than The Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, coming to theaters on September 18th.

Originating from The Maze Runner series by James Dashner, The Scorch Trials is the second installment. However, do not worry if you missed the first movie or have yet to read the books. Here is a quick recap to fill you in or refresh your memory.

The Maze Runner is about a group of boys, The Gladers, who are put into what is called “The Glade,” and are stripped of their past memory.  Surrounded by tall stone walls, “The Glade” sits  in the middle of the maze. The maze is a place where only the runners go into, but are killed if they fail to make it back in time by night. The Glader boys live in The Glade. Monthly, a new boy and a pack of supplies appears through the elevator.

One month, a boy, named Thomas, comes through, followed by the first girl, Teresa. Teresa comes with a note saying everything is going to change and that she is the last person ever. The boys immediately blame Thomas, leading him to find a solution in the maze. He found this solution by spending a night in the maze and surviving. With the help of the rest of the Gladers, Thomas and Teresa lead the Gladers out of the system that will become known as Wicked.

Here, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials begins. The movie follows the Gladers, Thomas, and Teresa in their life out of the maze, searching for why Wicked Headquarters was created. The protagonist, Thomas, is played by Dylan O’Brian, while Kaya Scodelario takes on the role of Teresa. The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials is two hours and nine minutes full of action. To prepare, it is best to read the first two books of the series in order to have a better feel and understanding of the story line. Regardless, The Maze Runner series is a blockbuster hit, and makes for great weekend plans. 

Thomas, played by Dylan O’Brian, is in “The Glade”. Surrounding him are the tall walls that keep him and the Gladers locked in.

www.flicker.com
Thomas, played by Dylan O’Brian, is in “The Glade”. Surrounding him are the tall walls that keep him and the Gladers confined.

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Health

Get Active

• Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

Opinion

On the Issues

• Showcase

Striving Towards Playoffs

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials