The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Grammy Recap

Sam Smith Vevo

This year marked the 57th annual Grammy Awards show.

Official Grammy Website

Feb. 8 marked music’s biggest night of the year: The Grammy Awards. Pulling in about 28.5 million viewers, this year this year marked the 57th annual awards show, and was hosted by LL Cool J.

AC/DC kicked off the night, performing the title song of their most recently released album, Rock or Bust. Other performance highlights include those by Beyoncé, Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Paul McCartney and Kanye West. Sam Smith and Mary J. Blige also hit the stage together.

Speaking of Sam Smith, he had an impressive evening at the show, winning four awards. These accomplishments include Best New artist, Song of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album, and Record of the Year.

The nominees for the Record of the Year were Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) by Sam Smith, Fancy by Iggy Azelea, Chandelier by Sia, and Shake it Off by Taylor Swift. As mentioned earlier, the winner for Record of the Year was Sam Smith’s Stay With Me (Darkchild Version). This would be Smith’s ’s first ever Grammy award making him beam as he walked up to the stage to accept his award.

Album of the Year was a competitive category as well. The nominees include Morning Phase by Beck, Beyonce by Beyonce, X by Ed Sheeran, In the Lonely Hour by Sam Smith, and Girl by Pharrell WIlliams. Beck takes the win with Morning Phase. A few years ago Kanye West went up to the stage and said that Taylor Swift didn’t deserve the music video of the year award but Beyonce did. This action caused a lot of controversy and made many people nervous when they saw him walk up to the stage when Beck was accepting his award this year. Although the viewers thought that he was going to pull something like he did with Swift, a sigh of relief ran over the crowd when he walked back off stage without saying anything.

Song of the Year is by far the most difficult and competitive category. The nominees for Song of the Year are Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) by Sam Smith, All About that Bass by Meghan Trainor, Chandelier by Sia, Shake it Off by Taylor Swift, and Take Me to Church by Hozier. Sam Smith claims this award with Stay With Me (Darkchild Version). “I’m having a really, really good night” Smith said as he laughed with the crowd. This was his third Grammy of the night.

HIES students accompanied the millions of viewers. Sophomore Grace Sanders says that her favorite moment of the show was “watching Sam Smith win four awards.”

This year the Grammy’s proved that the music industry is always reinventing and improving itself. The awards provide an additional form of recognition for the hard working artists to showcase their talents.

• Grammy Recap

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Grammy Recap

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Grammy Recap

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Grammy Recap

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Grammy Recap

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Grammy Recap

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Grammy Recap

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Grammy Recap

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Grammy Recap

Health

Get Active

• Grammy Recap

Opinion

On the Issues

Grammy Recap