The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

The Juicy Story

Kaylee Correll and Anna Carr Hanks

With the new year starting up, many people have their health on their mind. If you’re feeling hungry, instead of going out for ice cream, try one of Atlanta’s many juice bars. Staff writers Kaylee Correll and Anna Carr Hanks set out to explore three of city’s hottest juice joints.

The first place they stopped on their juicy journey was Juicy Jenny. This juice bar is owned by the same owners of  Souper Jenny and Café Jonah. Tucked back on a side street,this juice bar is not easy to find. However, once you locate it, the first thing you notice when you walk-in is the distinct smell of kale and the light airiness of the shop. There were a few tables, and a counter at the bar. It was a fun environment that was very clean and quiet.

Make sure you walk up to the bar and locate menu on the counter. It was not easy to see, and because of that, we bought the pre-bottled juice that was on display. We selected the 16 oz. juices, for $4.50, called “Instant Hydration” and “Do I Have Kale in my Teeth?” With a smell true to their taste, they had a light consistency and made us feel healthy. We then located the menu, and decided to explore the options they had for children. There weren’t many people working, but the one man that was behind the counter was very kind and patient as we picked out our juices.

We ordered the “Tutti Frutti.” a simple smoothie including a variety of fruits. This was more up our alley, and was extremely refreshing and simple. Also, there were a few simple lunch options at a buffet off to the side if you want some food to accompany your  juice.

Our overall experience at Juicy Jenny was great, and we would recommend it.

Right when you walk in, you immediately notice the fun, bright environment.

Our next stop on this adventure was Dtox. Although Dtox has many locations, we went to one that is not easy to find. Nestled below a few shops and down an ally, you really have to search for it. Right when you walk-in, you notice the cleanliness and lightness of the room. Although this shop is very small in measurements, it feels roomy and open.

The menu at Dtox is much easier to find than Juicy Jenny’s, due to the fact that it is  written in big letters on the wall to the right. The service here is slower, but the workers are very kind and help you pick out what you want. After looking at the menu for a while, we finally decided on two 16 ounce juices titled “Pink” and “Pineapple H20.” Each bottle was $5.20, and after we grabbed our juices, we sat down at one of their few tables. Due to the fact that the seating at Dtox is very limited, most people take it to go.

In our opinion the juices here were much better than the juices at Juicy Jenny. While the juices at Juicy Jenny had a smoothie consistency, those at Dtox had a stereotypical texture.

Across the board, our experience at Dtox was pleasant and it would be a great stop if you are in the mood for juice.

Whether you're looking to go on cleanse, or juice want to try it once, Dtox is the place that will leave you feeling healthy.

Lastly, we stopped by a local  favorite, Arden’s Garden. Located on Roswell Road, this Arden’s Garden is easily accessible. While the store  was filled with light, it was also small and extremely crowded. After waiting a while for help, the two workers were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating.

The smoothies are made right in front of you, allowing you to see what exactly you are drinking. In addition, the only ingredients are frozen fruits and juice (and optional spinach and power shots). This location has limited seating, so most people tend to grab their juices and go. The sweet smoothie was 16 oz. and only $4. In addition to smoothies, this juice bar has four shots, including ginger and wheatgrass, as well as a large variety of pre-bottled juices.

Arden’s has a wide variety of choices, so there is sure to be something for the whole gang.

It may be crammed and crowded sometimes, but waiting around for one of these smoothies is absolutely worth it.

Out of all three of these juice bars we give best smoothie to Arden’s Garden, best health kick to Dtox and best environment to Juicy Jenny. So, depending on your mood, you will be sure to find something enjoyable at one of these three savory juice stops.

• The Juicy Story

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• The Juicy Story

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• The Juicy Story

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• The Juicy Story

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• The Juicy Story

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• The Juicy Story

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• The Juicy Story

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• The Juicy Story

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• The Juicy Story

Health

Get Active

• The Juicy Story

Opinion

On the Issues

The Juicy Story