The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

New Year, New You

New Years Resolutions 2015

Sarah Schmidt, Staff Writer

January 1st, while it is a day of celebration regarding the upcoming New Year for some, others see it as an opportunity for a fresh start and dedication towards a new found goal. New Years Resolutions have always been an exciting thing to look forward to, even when we were young. Whether it was no chocolate or sweets as a child, or exercising four times a week, or no carbs as an adult, each of these resolutions represents a goal that we are all aspiring to reach one way or another.

A common trend seen throughout many resolutions is “getting healthy or staying more active.” Although lots of people say this is something they will continue throughout the New Year, most people don’t stick with it as it can easily become too much to handle or it becomes overwhelming to keep up.

Maintaining this goal for an entire year can be challenging, as demonstrated by some in the HIES community.  Amanda Love, Upper School Chemistry teacher, decided to take up dance lessons in order to stay more active. She said, “I’ve always wanted to learn how to dance but just never got around to it and I decided to finally do it this year.”

Senior Meredith Weidner discussed her decision to run a marathon this year as a family decision, and so she decided to run with them in order to get in shape and stay more active.

On a different path, Global Citizenship Teacher Erik Vincent focused on adding positive habits rather than abstaining from negative ones. Being at his previous school for nine years taught him a lot about the teaching community as a whole. The one major thing he told me he wanted to improve on for his resolution was, “to be more intentional about the time that I spend each day while engaging with a student, parent, or a faculty member.” In other words, being more present in that certain moment and having an open mind. He wanted to try to learn everything he possibly could from one moment – whether it was a brief one minute conversation, or a long 30 minute lecture.

The tradition of creating a New Years Resolutions has kept people motivated to reach a goal that they’ve been wanting to achieve but haven’t gotten around to working toward. If you stick to your resolution throughout the year it can be very rewarding and create a happier you for the New Year.

Fireworks shooting off on New Year's Eve.

Creative Commons
Fireworks shooting off on New Year’s Eve.

This is Times Square celebrating New Year's Eve.

This is Times Square celebrating New Year’s Eve.

Have you stuck to your New Year's Resolution for 2015?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

• New Year, New You

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• New Year, New You

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• New Year, New You

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• New Year, New You

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• New Year, New You

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• New Year, New You

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• New Year, New You

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• New Year, New You

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• New Year, New You

Health

Get Active

• New Year, New You

Opinion

On the Issues

New Year, New You