The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Global Citizenship and International Relations

Sarah Schmidt and Ellie Epperson

The Global Citizenship Program is a selective class of intelligent students at HIES that begins during sophomore year and ends with the presentation of the Senior Capstone Project. At the beginning of this year, we welcomed Erik Vincent as the new head of the program after the previous head, Dr. Quinton Walker, ventured off to Galloway, bringing his insightful ideas regarding Global to their school.

Accompanying Erik Vincent were his bright new visions for the Global program. He states that the Global Citizenship Program is unique in a way that it “ is really ambitious in that we want to equip our students in Global to live more justice oriented lives by the time they graduate.” He states that the program challenges students to think differently from any other class by learning about different global issues. Vincent says that he hopes global will allow students to find a topic they are interested in, and then “when they leave they will practice their passion and put into play some of the skills that they’ve learned and some of the knowledge they have in order to do something good in the world to make a difference in someone’s life.” They are to find this passion through various discussions in class and through summer travel.

This photo is one current Junior at HI, Emma Smith, captured while on her trip in Australia.

Each summer, the global students have the opportunity to travel abroad to a country of their choice, and experience everything it has to offer. Mr. Vincent says, “the experiences whether in the class or through travel are all about bringing that awareness to a focus so that they are empowered to go out and do justice.” These trips allow the students to step out of their comfort zones and experience different aspects of the country they are traveling to.

We hope that when they leave they will practice their passion and put into play some of the skills that they’ve learned and some of the knowledge they have in order to do something good in the world to make a difference in someone’s life.”

— Erik Vincent

These trips give the opportunity for students to not have a normal tourist experience, but rather to have a first hand cultural adventure in their given country. Caroline Spearman, current 10th grader, states that she is hoping to “ completely immerse [herself] in their culture.” Many other global students echo this feeling, as many state that their biggest hope is to have an immersive and native experience.

There are different types of trips that the students have the opportunity to go on. These trips range in location with students traveling to the Caribbean, Europe, Oceania, and Asia. Anywhere from language and cultural immersion, to service and cultural immersion, to educational trips, and even semester schools.

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Health

Get Active

• Summer Travel and Global Immersion

Opinion

On the Issues

• Showcase

Striving Towards Playoffs

Summer Travel and Global Immersion