The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

A closer look into the musical talents of Eli Best

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeZP37HsCdx16GaRLQd6q9A/feed

YouTube

Aubrey Pritchett and Corinna Wade

Members of the HIES community may recognize Eli Best from his outstanding piano performances in chapel.

A member of the class of 2017,  Best has been playing piano since the age of five. At that age, Best began taking lessons once a week for thirty minutes to an hour. However, since then, he simply teaches himself the music.  Best claims, “it can take anywhere up to a month to learn a piece.” By memorizing the sheet music, Best then adds his own spin on the piece,  revealing that “after [he plays]a song long enough, it’s easier to play without sheet music”. A more complex piece of “Maple Leaf Rag” by Scott Joplin happens to be his favorite.

Though his favorite instrument to play is the piano, his talent does not stop there, for Best can also play the electric guitar. In addition, he  participates in the school band where he plays percussion; including the drums and the xylophone. He explains, “I came to HIES in the fifth grade and knew I wanted to play a new instrument so I talked to my music teachers but decided to play percussion because it’s similar to piano,”

But, there’s more to his story. In January of 2015, Best created a YouTube account. Here, he has uploaded the new songs he has learned, with a current queue composed of 15 songs. It all started when Best was telling a family member about playing in chapel. This family member wished that they could hear him perform, so Best  began recording himself playing all of his instruments, even vocals. Best’s YouTube channel is a place for him to showcase his various talents to those not only around him but all over the world.

However, music goes deeper than playing songs in chapel and uploading videos to YouTube. For Best, “learning new music always keeps [his] mind occupied with a new challenge. [He] also love[s] when [his] playing makes people happy because it is a great feeling knowing [he has] brightened someone’s day.”

It is clear that in present times, it is often difficult for students to balance school work with sports and other extra curricular activities. As a student and Varsity Soccer player, Best is aware of these challenges and explains that, “[He does his] best to keep [his] school work above music on [his] list of priorities. As a result of this, there are some days when [he doesn’t] have enough time to play any music because of homework and soccer practice.

In spite of this, he takes  advantage of days that [he’s] not busy and sometimes play[s] music for 3 or 4 hours at a time.”

Because playing music provides an outlet for stress, Eli Best continues to develop his talents.  Showcasing his abilities, Eli Best plays in upper school chapel along with his 6 year experience in band.

Because playing music provides an outlet for stress, Eli Best continues to develop his talents. Showcasing his abilities, Eli Best plays in upper school chapel along with his 6 year experience in band.

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Health

Get Active

• Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

Opinion

On the Issues

• Showcase

Striving Towards Playoffs

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy