The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

A Night Under the Stars

How to create the perfect outdoor movie night.

Credit: Creative Commons

Credit: Creative Commons

With summer right around the corner, people are looking for fun ways to spend time, and an outdoor movie is the perfect way to do it. Setting up a fun backyard movie night is simple and sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Before you sit back, relax, and enjoy the movie, there are a few things to do first. Of course, the movie screen and projector are the most important part. Companies such as FunFlicks rent out blow up screens and projectors, so that you can enjoy outdoor movies from the comfort of your backyard. If you plan on doing this often, some screens are available for purchase at stores like Target. If the movie night is on a tight budget, a more affordable option is to hang a white curtain as the screen and rent the projector.

The list of must haves for a backyard movie night is not only a screen and projector, but also some comfy seating options. Pillows, blankets, beach chairs, and Enos are easy ways to provide seating for you and your guests. If you are feeling crafty, making your own movie chairs are a great way to make sure your movie night is one to remember. To make these unique DIY movie seating, head to Home Depot or another place that sells bails of hay, and purchase about six bails. Next, stack them up for form a couch and put blankets and sheets over it. There you have it; a perfect DIY outdoor couch.

Food and movies go perfect together, and there are infinite delicious options to munch on while watching your favorite film. Some classic options would be boxed candies such as raisinettes, crunch, milk duds, and sour patch kids. Also, making freshly popped popcorn will surely enhance your viewing experience. One way to spice up the classic popcorn, would be to sprinkle it with various flavored salts, or drizzle it with caramel or chocolate. If you’re looking to make special treats for the movie night, Pinterest has some unique and delicious ones. Just search “movie treats” and you are sure to find one that catches your eye.

The actual movie that is shown is probably the most crucial part to a successful night. Since picking a movie can often be a debacle, here is a list of the top 3 movies in each major genre, adapted from Rotten Tomatoes.

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.45.27 PM

Here is a list of the top 3 movies in each major genre, adapted from Rotten Tomatoes.

• A Night Under the Stars

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• A Night Under the Stars

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• A Night Under the Stars

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• A Night Under the Stars

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• A Night Under the Stars

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• A Night Under the Stars

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• A Night Under the Stars

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• A Night Under the Stars

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• A Night Under the Stars

Health

Get Active

• A Night Under the Stars

Opinion

On the Issues

A Night Under the Stars