The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Filed under Arts, Showcase

Scat for SCAD

Sophomore Sarah Catherine Conklin was awarded 6th place at the Dogwood festival for her stunning photograph.

With over 670 entries from more than 60 schools and 150 finalists, it is exciting for an HIES student to be selected to be showcased in the 79th Annual Dogwood Festival. This year, Sarah Catherine Conklin, sophomore, has been chosen for this honor, and has even placed 6th place overall for her piece, Clayton’s Joy. This piece showcases Conklin’s, or better known as Scat’s, younger cousin, Clayton laughing. The piece

Scat takes a photo of a gorgeous lion laying on the ground in Africa.

Sarah Catherine Conklin

will be displayed at the 79th Annual Dogwood Festival, which takes place April 10-12. In addition to Scat’s photograph, other classmates Ileana Ziessner and Olivia Monjeau will have pictures exhibited.

Not only will Scat’s photograph be displayed at the Dogwood Festival, but she also received a $1,000 scholarship to the Savannah College of Art and Design, also know as SCAD,  for a week long summer program. Due to the high talent and numerous applications submitted, Scat did not have too high of hopes, explaining, “I thought I had maybe a small chance of winning, but I didn’t think much of it.”

This selection did not come as a surprise, for Scat is known for her photography skills. Ranging from environmental shots to profiles to animals, each photograph is stunning. She displays her photographs on an Instagram page which has 219 followers.

One of Conklin's photos from her family trip to Africa.

Sarah Catherine Conklin
One of Conklin’s photos from her family trip to Africa.

Scat became interested in photography through looking at the world around her. She says that she gets her inspiration from “anything that appeals/catches your the eye. Pictures of things in a different perspective.”  Scat doesn’t see her photography career ending anytime soon, “I would at least want to have a career that has something to do with photography.” This contest will sure help Scat to achieve this goal.

In addition to her photographs, Scat also takes GoPro videos. A GoPro is a device that videotapes what the person wearing it is doing, and is commonly used by people participating in extreme sports for it gives the viewer an interesting viewpoint. Scat takes these videos as she goes on various vacations with her family or just staying at her house, and then sets them to music and remixes them to make these otherwise mundane activities into adventures.

Scat captures a photo in Africa of some playful elephants.

Sarah Catherine Conklin

Scat says she became interested in this form of art because “i have always loved the beauty of capturing a moment that could last a lifetime.” Her passion for both photography and videography surely shows in all of her pieces. You can view some of Scat’s works on her multiple social media accounts and see where her talents leads her.

Photography Instagram: https://instagram.com/scat_scatphotography/

Videography Instagram: https://instagram.com/scat_scatgopro/

• Scat for SCAD

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Scat for SCAD

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Scat for SCAD

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Scat for SCAD

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Scat for SCAD

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Scat for SCAD

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Scat for SCAD

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Scat for SCAD

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Scat for SCAD

Health

Get Active

• Scat for SCAD

Opinion

On the Issues

Scat for SCAD