The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Aubrey Pritchett, Staff Writer

Among recent news, certain HIES musicians and singers have earned All-State Honors. The Georgia Music Educators Association carefully selected these young people from Holy Innocents for All-State Orchestra, Band and Chorus. One of the talented musicians  is sophomore cellist Clarisa Colton, who made 9th and 10th grade Georgia All-State Orchestra.

All-State Orchestra is made up of two rounds. The first round consists of playing two scales and an an etude in front of the judges. If the musician passes the first round, he or she moves on to the second round. This is where he or she is given five to six excerpts which is learned before hand. Following, the musicians are told which two to play behind the screen for the judges. Additionally, the participants must perform a sight reading. Colton was exempted from the first round because she made it through the prior year.

Colton began her musical endeavors in the third grade at HIES. However, her pursuit of the cello did not commence until she began taking private lessons in the fifth grade.  As Colton aged, she decided that the cello is her true passion. Colton’s musical dedication and success would not be possible without the support of the HIES orchestra community. She explains, “They pushed me to do things I wouldn’t have done on my own.”

They (the HIES orchestra community) pushed me to do things I wouldn’t have done on my own. Orchestra is really supportive.”

— Clarisa Colton

Currently, she continues to have private lessons at least once a week with an Atlanta Symphony member. While the time she allots to the cello varies, she believes that around three hours a day is ideal.This time and dedication will help Colton accomplish her intention to major in music in college, which is extremely difficult unless “you are incredibly gifted.”

In the next few years, Clarisa is sure to have many more opportunities to show off her exquisite talent. As for the future, Colton hopes to be somewhere where she can earn money doing what she loves.

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Health

Get Active

• Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra

Opinion

On the Issues

Clarisa Colton: All-State Orchestra