The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Striving Towards Playoffs

Claire Simmel, Staff Writer

The HIES track team has had an impressive 2015 season, breaking six school records so far. These records include both the girls and boys 4×8 relays, the boys 4×4 relay, the girls 400 meter race, the girls 300 meter hurdles and the boys pole vault.

Hurdlers at Senior night.

Richard Coggins
Girls 300 meter hurdles.

So far this season, the team has competed in eight different meets. Playoffs started Wednesday, April 22 at GAC.

Coach Stephan Jayaraj reflects on the team’s achievements, saying that “This has been a dream season for our team. We’re excited that so many seniors have been apart of this and this is a great way for them to go out. We still have [the] state [playoffs] coming up and are really looking forward to it.”

Senior night, held on Thursday April 9, was a successful night for the team. The senior runners include Claire Kelsey, Mary-Mac Hailey, Megan Cahillane, Andrew Coggins, Kenny Buckner, and Johnny Maier.

The six seniors on the track team.

Richard Coggins
The six seniors on the track team.

Senior Andrew Coggins, a strong advocate to the track team, reflects on his successful season running with the team. His favorite part about being a senior on the team “has been being a captain and doing my best to be a role model to underclassmen.”

Running track is not an easy activity. Coggins explains how he is able to manage his goals and strive to get better. He always makes sure to put in 100% effort during workouts and training and frequently preaches to himself and his teammates “to work hard and stay focussed, and good results will come from it.”

We’re excited that so many seniors have been apart of this and this is a great way for them to go out. ”

— Coach Stephan Jayaraj

The track program has proven to be exceptionally strong this year. Coggins has strong faith in his teammates, sharing that there are “many girls who have a good chance to do well at region and state individually. Our guys team is one of the strongest ever.”

Striving Towards Playoffs