The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Get Active

Uncover interesting ways to lead a healthy lifestyle in Atlanta

Amelia Rempe and Aubrey Pritchett

In the United States alone, there are more than 3 million cases of childhood obesity each year. According to the CDC, one in every five children between 6 and 17 years of age are considered to be obese. As a child, obesity can lead to bone or joint problems, pre-diabetes, sleep apnea and physiological problems such as stigmatization.

If obesity continues on into adult years, the person is at risk to health problems such as cancer, high cholesterol or blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, heart disease, and many more.  Childhood obesity is easily preventable and curable. It all stems from healthy habits at home.

Creating those healthy habits at a young age is important in order to obtain a healthy and happy lifestyle. There are many organizations dedicated to keeping kids active and healthy. Physical exercise is key to keeping up your health. The recommended exercise amount is 1 hour a day.

A “one-size fits all” diet or exercise plan is not the solution.”

— Kelly Lukridge

On April 18th, the YMCA on Moores Mill Road dedicated a day to informing children of all ages how to lead healthy lifestyles. Booths were set up where children and their parents could learn about dental hygiene, smart diet choices, and exercise.

Kelly Lukridge, Wellness Director at the YMCA, says that being healthy “is about finding what works for you.”  Additionally she is adamant that the “one-size fits all” diet or exercise plan is not the solution.” Obesity is a focus of her organization and herself and she states that the U.S. is, “facing an epidemic of obesity and type II diabetes in our youth.”

Summer is just around the corner, and there’s tons of exciting ways to stay active right here in Atlanta! Routine workouts can get boring and motivation is lost easily. Try something new to keep it interesting:

– Outdoor activities including yoga, swimming and team activities can be found at Camp Fit in June. Campers will spend time in the Education Garden learning about fruits and vegetables grown in the park. Cooking activities will allow campers to practice creating their own healthy snacks.

– Connect with the Kennesaw Community and take part in the Backyard Campout at Kennesaw Park on May 16th. Campfires and group activities will keep you on your feet and provide fun ways to get exercise.

– Find fun with a twist at The Bubble Palooza on May 30th. The Palooza is a three mile course where an intense cornucopia of colorful bubbles will rain down on you and your friends.  Whether you walk, run, cartwheel or bunny hop through the epic walls of bubbles, you will end up looking like you got in a fight with a rainbow…and lost!

– For something less structured visit the Beltline, Atlanta’s newest outdoor space comprised of 22 miles of unused railroad tracks circling the core of the city’s in-town neighborhoods. From trails and walkways to open green space and parks, the Atlanta BeltLine works to connect people throughout the city.

• Get Active

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Get Active

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Get Active

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Get Active

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Get Active

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Get Active

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Get Active

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Get Active

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Get Active

Opinion

On the Issues

• Showcase

Striving Towards Playoffs

Get Active