The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Pieces of the HI Puzzle

If you have been on the HIES campus, chances are you have run into these two bubbling personalities. The Crimson and Gold wanted to know more than the average Golden Bear.

Ms.+Raiford+and+Mrs.+Hogan%27s+colorful+background+are+accurate+representations+of+the+colorful+their+colorful+personalities.+
Ms. Raiford and Mrs. Hogan's colorful background are accurate representations of the colorful their colorful personalities.

Katherine Watson

Katherine Watson

Katherine Watson and Grace Sizemore

As school is starting up again, students are getting back into the swing of things. They might recognize the welcoming faces at HIES, but do they know the person behind the smiling exterior?

The Crimson and Gold sat down with Holly Raiford, the front desk receptionist and Catherine Hogan, a campus shop employee, to ask them a few questions.

You can always find Ms. Raiford with a smile on her face, whether it be greeting students or answering important calls. Photo by: Grace Sizemore

You can always find Ms. Raiford with a smile on her face, whether it be greeting students or answering important calls. Photo by: Grace Sizemore

C&G: Do you have a hidden talent?

Ms. Raiford: I make a mean paleo brownie with sweet potatoes.

C&G: Do you have any hobbies, if so, what are they?

Ms. Raiford: My hobbies, in order of importance to me are: my cats (2), my lake life- I spend alot of time at my lake house at Lake Sinclair, and my third hobby is holistic medicine. I love to research holistic medicine. When you have a cold Vitamin C will change your life

C&G: Is there anyone in your life who has influenced you significantly?

Ms. Raiford: Tom and Silvia Raiford, my parents.

C&G:  What advice would you give to your high school self, today?

Ms. Raiford: To create your own happiness.  If I was looking at young Holly I would say ‘you go create your own happiness; dont be looking for it.’

C&G: Describe the happiest day of your life…

Ms. Raiford: I decided I have multiple happy days. and It’s funny, the first day of school …the first day of school for Ms. Raiford is probably more exciting than it is for you. I love it! So, every year I get a happiest day.

C&G: Is there something in your life that you could never live without?

Ms. Raiford: Apple Cider Vinegar. I drink it, I put it in my neti pot, I put it on my scrapes, I put it on my face. It is like a wonder drug, but it’s not a drug.

C&G: What is the hardest thing you’ve ever done?

Ms. Raiford: The hardest thing I have ever done is passing trigonometry.  It was brutal; I remember it like yesterday.  Somehow I got through it and did not have to go to summer school.

Mrs. Hogan, ready to help another hungry student grab a snack.  Photo by: Grace Sizemore

Mrs. Hogan, ready to help another hungry student grab a snack. Photo by: Grace Sizemore

C&G: Do you have a hidden talent?

Mrs. Hogan: For my kids at home, anything that’s lost, they count on me to find.

Mrs. Hogan: I participate in a curling league, once a week, and I garden, walk, ski, and horseback ride.

Mrs. Hogan: My mom, she taught me the importance of an education, and how important it is to work hard in school, also to stay curious, and always make sure no matter how old you get to challenge yourself to learn new things.

C&G: What advice would you give to your high school self, today?

Mrs. Hogan: Perspective… Not to get too upset when things don’t go your way.

Mrs. Hogan: I had three: the day I got married, and the day each of my daughters was born.

C&G:Is there something in your life that you could never live without?

Mrs. Hogan: My family, my dog, and my kids would say I can’t live without my fitbit… I try to walk 10,000 steps every day.

Mrs. Hogan: As far as a physical thing, I did a bike trip, as a group through the Canadian rockies… Making it through that I was proud that I stuck with it because there were times when you think about getting off your bike, but you can push through most anything.

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Health

Get Active

• Pieces of the HI Puzzle

Opinion

On the Issues

Pieces of the HI Puzzle