The Student Voice of Holy Innocents' Episcopal School

Crimson & Gold

Filed under Humans of HI, Showcase

Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

There's a lot going on at HIES this year, and new head of school Paul Barton has a lot to say about it.

Barton sat down with Sydney Coleman to discuss the changes going on at HIES.

Sydney Coleman

Sydney Coleman

Summer is a natural window for change as the students and faculty are away for just enough time to shake things up at HIES. However, this summer was one of monumental change, the most obvious one being the start of construction of the new upper school. It’s pretty hard to miss this ever-changing metal and concrete structure sitting in place of the former school entrance. But, a new building and a new entrance isn’t the only thing that’s different.

These other differences might be a little harder to spot, especially for a freshman or a new student. Sitting at the new front office of HIES is Ms. Raiford instead of Ms. Davis, who had been the front office receptionist for 17 years. New MacBook Airs were distributed to students rather than the usual MacBook Pros, and new furniture has been added to the junior and senior commons. Not only this, but traditions are beginning to change as well. The Class of 2015 ushered in a new way to celebrate the first day of school with a parade around the entrance rather than a stampede through the halls.

The new building changes a little bit every day.

Sydney Coleman

On the left, Ms. Raiford takes a call at the front desk. On the right from top to bottom is the junior commons, the Class of 2015 during their parade, and the senior commons.

Sydney Coleman

Despite all of this, the most influential new addition to the HIES community has to be the new head of school, Mr. Paul Barton, who has a lot to say about change. Even before he was given the position as head of school, Barton loved the “incredible sense of community” between students and faculty. Both current students and alumni have told Barton that community really is “the defining characteristic of the HIES experience.” Although this aspect of HIES is made him “fall in love with the school” immediately, he does think that our community can be made even better. Barton hopes to facilitate a “deeper sense of our Episcopalian identity” and “break down the walls of the divisions and tie us together as one school.” By encouraging friendships between students of all ages and deepening our Episcopalian roots, Barton wants to help HIES truly embody the meaning of a “big, diverse, inclusive school.”

In addition to the new leadership, there was another big change that Barton had a lot to say about. In regards to the new building, Barton hopes that the larger cafeteria will allow us “to socialize between the divisions [of the school]” as well as “afford our faculty and students with world-class facilities that they deserve to teach and learn in.” But of course, there are some things that Barton hopes to keep the same. Even though he wants to bring the divisions closer, he wants to protect the “freedom [for students] to follow their passion and try new opportunities.” As a new member of the HIES family, Barton recognizes that change is a part of life and especially a part of high school. Therefore, he offered the students and faculty a piece of advice to help us handle change in our every day lives.

There is no way to escape change, but there are a million ways to react to it. Keep that in mind as we continue through this academic year of many different kinds of change, both to ourselves and to our community.

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Movies

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Humans of HI

Summer Travel and Global Immersion

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Review

TED Talk Review: Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Humans of HI

Eli Best: The Piano Playing Prodigy

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Review

Exit Through the Gift Shop

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Review

“Ascot” Takes Home Best Picture

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Review

“Unfriended” Review

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Showcase

A Voice for Those Who Cannot Speak

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Health

Get Active

• Spot the Difference: HIES Edition

Opinion

On the Issues

Spot the Difference: HIES Edition